Rick Genter's blog

My chronicle of my experiences, starting with my upcoming plastic surgery.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Final Preparations

After five months of seeming like the day would never come, suddenly my surgery is tomorrow. And just as suddenly it seems that there isn't enough time to do everything that needs to be done.

This morning I have my "marking" appointment with the surgeon. This is where he draws on me where he's going to cut. I'm most interested to see where he's going to cut around my navel, especially since he told me he's going to "relocate" it (meaning that, in order to keep it where it is, he'll have to make a hole somewhere else).

Massachusetts has a law that allows for a health care proxy. This is a person that I can designate to make medical decisions on my behalf should they be needed and should I be in a state where I can't make those decisions for myself. Normally I would designate my sister to be my proxy, but since she's going to be 500 miles away tomorrow I'm designating my friend Joyce to be my proxy. Of course, that means more paperwork that has to be filled out. The other paperwork that I had been putting off for a long time but finally got my act together about was my will. I don't have a lot of assets, but it's important to make sure that the assets I do have get to the right people should the unthinkable happen.

There's a lot of other mundane stuff I still have to do, too, like clean, cook and do laundry. The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM tomorrow, so I have to be at the hospital by 6:00 AM, which means I have to get up at 4:30 AM. I have a feeling I'm not going to get a lot of sleep tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home