Rick Genter's blog

My chronicle of my experiences, starting with my upcoming plastic surgery.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Welcome

Hi.

My name is Rick Genter. For those of you who don't know me, I am a 44-year-old software engineer who works for Silverlink Communications.

Why have I started this blog?

For most of my life I was overweight. When I graduated from college in 1980 I was about 35 pounds overweight. Over the years my weight kept increasing, until in 2002 I was up to just under 400 pounds. In 1999 I developed heart palpitations that required me to take Atenolol. My cholesterol was 258. My triglycerides were at 221. Walking up a flight of stairs left me winded. At the rate I was going, I would have been dead in another 10 years.

In 2002 I was introduced to the HMR Weight Loss Program at Winchester Hospital. I had tried a number of different weight loss approaches over the years - Diet Workshop, Weight Watchers, Atkins, attempts at self-control - you name it, I tried it. For each attempt I'd lose some weight, then gained back more.

The HMR program is relatively simple and highly structured, which worked well for me. Over 11 months I lost 197 pounds, and I've maintained that weight loss now for over two years. I am now an avid exerciser, walking 50 to 80 miles a week. My cholesterol is down to 131 (HDL of 46), and my triglycerides are at 22. I no longer feel the heart palpitations and no longer take Atenolol.

There has been only one negative effect of my weight loss: I have some excess skin. It's mostly around my abdomen and on my legs. At times its uncomfortable, and it's a constant reminder of the person I was and never again want to be. When I finished losing my excess weight, I made myself a promise that if I kept the weight off for two years, I would have the extra skin removed.

Well, it's been over two years (I finished losing the weight on June 1, 2003), so a few months ago I went to see a plastic surgeon. On September 9th, I am scheduled to have a combination of a circumferential abdominoplasty with liposuction.

I started this blog to chronicle the experience for others who may be considering a similar procedure. I searched the Internet for experiences similar to mine and, while I found a fair amount of technical detail about the actual procedure, I did not find a lot of personal experience, so I'm hoping that others will benefit from my experience.

I'm very excited about my upcoming surgery. Of course, part of that is probably due to the fact that I've never had major surgery before :-). Nonetheless, I feel that this will be an overall positive experience.

I've allowed others to comment on these posts so that I can field any questions that you may have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home